BackstoryEditColin Ball was born in April 1945 in Peckham, London, SE15 to Elsie Ann Ball. Colin had a sister, probably a half sister as Elsie never married, and Colin's father was allegedly a soldier. Colin was a slow child and a slow learner at school. The classes were not big but they had high ceilings.
Due to his haircut he later gained the nickname "Trigger" as his haircut made him look like a horse. Trigger was not bright at all but he had more common sense as he started to dabble in stolen gear, and even nick stuff with mates so he could sell them to traders, especially Del Boy. Briefcases, tins of paint etc.
In 1981 he had to arrange an alibi for next Tuesday. Trigger had a haircut that made him look like a horse, so he was given the nickname Trigger due to the famous horse that Roy Rogers had stuffed.
In 1981, Trigger was a road sweeper but also remained as a part time dealer who used to sell stolen goods to local market traders including his best friend Del Boy Trotter. He sold his some dodgy briefcases and paint, which him and some mates stole from a railway station. In early 1985 he cleverly stole the cigarette machine from The Nags Head and the burglar alarm.
Later in 1985, Trigger was a suspect in a diamond smuggling caper but was dismissed as being too daft. By 1986, Trigger stopped dealing to Del as much, he had a lesser role in Del's trading business.
Trigger got a bit more dense as he got older. He took things literally all the time.
Believe it or not, Trigger was much sharper in the early years of the show. He was a small time crook who stole goods to sell to his mates. He was never Einstein (or Epstein in his book) but was much more with it.
- Trigger: Yeah you were at the funeral weren't you Dave?
- Rodney: Trig why do you call me Dave? My name is not Dave. My name is Rodney.
- Trigger: I thought it was Dave.
- Rodney: No its Rodney.
- Trigger: Are you sure?
- Rodney Yeah positive, I have looked it up on my passport and birth certificate. It is definitely Rodney.
- Trigger: Oh well you live and learn. So what is Dave then? Nickname like?
- Rodney: No you are the only one who calls me Dave. Everyone else calls me Rodney. The reason the call me Rodney is because Rodney is my name.
- Trigger: Oh well I shall have to get used to calling you Rodney.
- Rodney: Thank you.
- Trigger: Oi Basil, you gonna get this meeting started, me and Dave aint got all night.
- Rodney: Rodneyyy!!
Born: 28th April 1945
Full Name: Colin Ball
Siblings: 1 sister
Grandfathers: Arthur Ball
Grandmothers: Alice Ball
Aunts: Reenie Turpin
Occupation: Road sweeper (1960-present), Dodgy goods dealer (1981-1987)